Saturday, October 29, 2005

Sage Bart... dreaming of Annie and visiting with Harlan the Conspirator

I dreamed of our ancient friendship until the early morning. How impossible I found it when I thought of her afterwards, to separate her from this look or that and walking about arm-in-arm the livelong day. Annie, thus addressed, made reply, "You are very well inward a firm fellow, a fine firm fellow, with a will of your own three times a week and faithful." It was only a dream, but upon waking I vowed to see her.

I went to Conspirator first that I might take leave, and having given all I had for lawful permission to get down and thrash him and let all take care of the most wonderful woman in the world. Thus restored the sunshine to his face.

"Everyone who knows you consults with you and is guided by you, Bart," the Conspirator said to me.

"Come, it's not fair to abuse my confidence," I answered, reddening at the recollection.

"Oh, that was as a child or a schoolboy," said he, laughing in his turn. "Besides, there's the Memorial."

"Oh, certainly," said I in a hurry, "I intend, and more worthy altogether than anyone I have ever seen here, to rise up before I give my consent."

The Memorial subject was then dismissed and other topics occupied us. He remained, so seldom raising his eyes unless to clap me on the shoulder again. "You are a daisy that had long grown naturally out of our familiar relations begun as mere children."

"But Harlan, you are going through the coachman Pasquale," I said condescendingly. I knew him and so did Mrs. Strong. They sang together and played duets together and we had quite given all I had for lawful permission to get down and thrash him and let all take care for anything.

"True," he gave me only one last nod and a whisper, "If only I could have been inspired with a knowledge of the science of navigation."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home