Thursday, November 03, 2005

Roof with a View

I look down at the trampers as they pass and note my health may be suffering in comparison. I fear I may be reduced to the necessity of returning to my flat one day and never again have opportunity to watch the world from this windy perch. Oft times these days, when I look back from the stairway door, I seem to leave the roof with a dark cloud lowering on it.

Was a time when I had more zest and would have thought I'd be dragged at the heels of any number of wild horses 'ere I'd acquiesce to this shadow existence. But slowly I confined myself, and no longer venture into the thick of things, only now and then ascending to take a distant view.

Down the stair and through the hall, I pass the sound of a solo violin through 4A. That's Doyle, a virtuoso when he's a good, a mewling cat, when not. I've determined it depends on how much bottle he's consumed, but cannot decide if more's the better or worse.

I am more softened and forgiving now. I'd have complained more aggressively about the thunderous bickering in 3C. Bad enough it echoes into the hall, I note while passing, but they're above my head as well, stomping and thrashing with their vocals. Something really should be done, but they or the landlord would have to see to it. My complaints only served to turn their vehemence on me.

2C... To see... To see what? It was a fortunate day, the move to this place those years ago. I found my new room a great improvement on my old one. But after a while fresh space becomes familiar coziness and then in time the fit is snug again. Ah well, as long as my knees are in condition, there is escape on the roof. After that, there are my books to revisit and a window on the street and the daily news left at my door.

Hmmm... a presentation at the theatre 'round the corner. One of my favorite stories set on stage. Well, perhaps one night, one tramp into the wilds? Yes, I think that may be in order. I'm sure I've a suitable coat in some corner of my closet, and a hat and scarf, if the moths have not made dust of them. Yes, I shall resolve to go to the play. I can watch the world from my steeper angle anytime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home