Friday, November 04, 2005

Nervous Chatter in a Dark Office

Yes, Mr Parker, thank you for taking my appointment. How fortuitous for us both to run into each other again. I knew you immediately, you are so easily remembered, although I think that might be a detriment in your business. I am not offended that you didn't recall me. I was always afraid to stand out and obviously have met great success in not doing so. If I had your other inclinations, I might even be gifted in your profession for that. But, I haven't.

You may well ask again why I came to you. I know I didn't specify on that first meeting and I'm sorry to have run out as I did. But, I'll answer now.

My experiences went for little or nothing and then life suddenly became more like a great chine story. It was as though the tranquil sanctuary of my childhood had been sacked before my face really, and it separated that earlier time wholly from what followed.

My sister always seemed to dislike our father, perhaps she'd had some clue. In contrast, I was perpetually hanging on his shoulder, until he did a thing for which I shall never forgive him, he left. From that time on, with my mother ill and my sister gone to make her own way, I took on head of household and barely looked up since.

I assure you I am in earnest now so please do arrange our contract and bind us firmly to it. I foolishly put it off and might have lost him, but I heard he's settled in one place now, and I am resolved.

No doubt you'll know soon enough where he sleeps from this information I've written down and then you can deliver him. You know what I mean. There will be a post come in from India, as you previously specified. So you'll surely have within the week what you need to fulfill my obligation, and with that assurance of discretion.

I should go. I've another appointment, though not precisely of this nature. I'm off to Wilson's to make arrangements of another sort, laying my mother to rest from more natural causes. It is because of this that I am set. I think it's time for father to see her again. Overdue, in fact too late. But this will suffice, at least for me.

You know, despite her long suffering which I am sure was his doing, she would not be happy with my decision. That's why I had to wait, you see, until now. And then, perhaps, I can find out where my own life has gone to. In any case, I'll leave you to it. Good day, Mr Parker, good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home